The Pyramidenkogel – a very popular destination

The first viewing tower on the Pyramidenkogel was a tower made of wood with seven floors and its construction was completed in 1950.

Subsequently the community built a wider road system and from now on the Pyramidenkogel can be reached by car very easily. It didn´t take long before the Pyramidenkogel turned into a popular place of excursion. In 1955 45.000 visitors already enjoyed the spectacular panoramic sight over Carinthia. 1959 the road system was expanded once again. Due to the increasing amount of visitors on the Pyramidenkogel the ambitious plan grew to build a new and more modern one.

Reinforced concrete construction with three platforms

The new tower, a 54-metre high reinforced concrete structure with 3 platforms, was built between 1966 and 1968 and officially opened on May 1, 1968. A lift took visitors up to the first viewing platform at a height of 43 meters. Two further, smaller platforms were accessible via a staircase. Many thousands of visitors enjoyed the wonderful panorama over Lake Wörthersee, the Karawanken mountains and almost the whole of Carinthia.

Demolition and reconstruction

On October 12, 2012, the landmark was blown up and razed to the ground. Work then immediately began on erecting the new lookout tower, which consists of a wooden and steel structure. At a proud height of 100 meters, it is the new landmark of the municipality of Keutschach and is now one of the most popular and most frequented excursion destinations. As a special attraction for guests of all ages, you will find a 120 meter long slide with a photo trap directly in the tower.